If you have noticed black ants approximately an inch in length around your home, you may be facing the problem of carpenter ants. Most commonly found in wooden structures, these pests can chew their way through wood construction materials found in homes and other building types. If left untreated, carpenter ants can cause significant structural damage, which can lead to dangerous living conditions and costly repairs.
What do Carpenter Ants Look Like?
- Typically, they are black in colour but can range from red to yellow
- They can be up to one inch or 25 millimeters in length
- They have a single small segment between the thorax and stomach
- Their head includes a set of large mandibles, which open horizontally and a pair of bent antennae
- There are six legs attached to the thorax with a narrow petiole which separates the thorax from the abdomen
- Their abdomen is rounded and covered in long, yellow hairs
- Unlike other ants that have a bumpy thorax, the thorax of a carpenter ant is evenly rounded
Prevention Tips for Structural Pests in Toronto
Carpenter ants will chew through wood to hollow it out and nest inside. One indication of their presence is the wood shavings or sawdust they leave behind near wooden structures. If you hear a crackling noise, they are chewing on wood and have found their way into your home. When this happens, it’s imperative that you contact a professional and skilled company for ant removal in Toronto. Though they move slowly, carpenter ants will work hard to damage the structural integrity of your building.
Another indication of carpenter ants is if you have a moisture problem in your home. These critters thrive in damp areas, especially in places that may have a plumbing leak like dishwashers, sinks and bathrooms. You may even find them around window frames if you have a condensation problem.
- Ensure that moisture prone areas are dry and clean at all times.
- Seal any noticeable cracks around the home to prevent entrance paths.
- Caulk around electrical and water lines to provide a barrier.
- Trim the branches around your building to prevent the ants from using them as a pathway.
- Be sure to store your firewood away from your home and when bringing it inside, remember to inspect it for signs of ants.
- Keep your food tightly sealed in containers and the kitchen area clean.
- Ensure your gutters are clean to avoid water damage.
- Fix any leaky pipes or roof problems.
- Keep crawl spaces and attics well insulated and ventilated.
ICE Pest Control & Wildlife Removal has been providing Toronto residents with quick, safe and reliable pest control services for over 25 years. We understand how frustrating and unpleasant pests can be. That is why we offer innovative and effective solutions for the complete removal of any critters or animals affecting your daily life. Whether you have an infestation that requires immediate treatment to prevent structural damage, or you would like to have the premises sprayed as a precautionary measure, trust us to get the job done quickly and effectively.
Contact us today at 1-888-439-8376 or fill out our online form and one of our friendly and knowledgeable representatives will help address your questions and concerns about ant removal in North York.